Wednesday, July 4, 2007

pottery

Unfortunately my 4 weeks of pottery classes were reduced to 3 because of my trip back to Qld., but I can't really use that as an excuse, because I think it was clear I wasn't going to be a "Pottery Prodigy" from the very beginning. SIGH.
Yes, the sad fact is...I can't centre. Centre-ing is a crucial initial stage in getting the clay ready for shaping on the wheel, and if it's not centred, then you can't throw a symmetrical pot. My natural left leanings are obviously getting in the way here, and all I can throw are wobbly but "interesting" pots. They are unique, and clearly identifiable as mine, because everyone else's look like actual pots.
None the less, I haven't given up hope and shall valiantly pursue the fine art of centre-ing...or resort to hand building, which may be my more natural metier anyway.
No photos as yet, but I promise once I have a finished wobbly pot/thing to show, I will bravely do so!
I take comfort from the knowledge that even if centreing was the easiest thing in the world for me, I'd still want to make them a bit wonky at the end anyway.

No comments: