Thursday, May 17, 2007

browsing


It's cool, rainy and thundery here today and I've spent a lovely morning browsing through some of my favourite blogs, and just clicking on links as I go. I could call it "research" or I could call it idling...both would be true.
I found this image via the Idler website and their myspace blog and it really appealed to me. I found a copy of their magazine/book in the library the other day and it made me smile.
I love that there are other people out there who feel as disinterested and unimpressed by the "Protestant Work Ethic" as I do...only invented in the 18th century to feed greed.
We all love to work, but on our own self-motivated creative work that is meaningful to us. Time is our only true wealth, so it would be nice to be freely able to decide how we spend it. Unbelievably some people don't actually want heaps of money above and beyond anything else...wasn't freeing us from tedious labour what all our technology was supposed to be for?
According to Brian Dean in "The Idler" Issue 35, p.41 " In 1965, a U.S. Senate subcommitttee predicted a 22 hour work week by 1985, 14 hours by 2000."
Hmmm....something went wrong there...what year is it again?

No comments: